The South Jersey Port Corporation was created in 1968 to operate marine shipping terminals in the South Jersey Port District which consists of seven counties: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, Mercer and Cape May. The SJPC is a quasi-state agency, which reports through the Department of Treasury to the Governor of New Jersey.
The purpose of this state-created corporation is to provide meaningful public employment, tax ratables and business incentives to the South Jersey region. The SJPC owns and operates the Joseph A. Balzano and Broadway Marine Terminals in the Port of Camden, the Salem Marine Terminal at the Port of Salem, and is constructing the second phase of Paulsboro Marine Terminal at the Port of Paulsboro.
The South Jersey Port Corporation (SJPC) provides world-class facilities and beneficial services which support and accommodate the transportation of goods and commodities, both by water and by land. It is the mission of the SJPC to foster regional economic development through revenue generation in a financially and environmentally sustainable manner to support facility, staffing, and infrastructure investment for the benefit of our Port District, including the cities of Camden, Paulsboro, and Salem, New Jersey.
Therefore, as a company, The South Jersey Port Corporation is dedicated to upholding the following principles and goals:
- Work in partnership with both State and private entities to complement their functions and capabilities, as well as enhance our regions.
- Provide major regional services and facilities for the handling of bulk, break-bulk, dry bulk and containerized cargoes.
- Retain and expand the existing industrial, manufacturing, distribution and related employment bases within the Port District and South Jersey regions.
- Respect the sensitivity of the public’s needs and concerns, as well as serve their interests by improving public awareness.
- Operate our facilities in a professional and safe manner.
- Foster the State of New Jersey in becoming a vital link within the world’s markets.
- Deliver top quality customer satisfaction and overall experience for each unique client.